Friday, May 9, 2008

Atlantic City and the MET, a scatter-brained blog

Hi family. Sorry we've been out of touch for what seems like a very eventful several weeks. Shane, Happy Birthday! Kevin, Congratulations on your first communion! The Chicago clan looks GREAT! It was really good to see the CA contingent, even given the circumstances. We are doing alright here, trying to solidy plans for the summer.
Speaking of the summer, so many things have come up. Cat (who is doing really well) will definitely be spending the bulk of the summer back in California, working for her cousin and taking a couple of classes she can't get here. We're working out whether or not I will be here in NJ, or there in CA. I recently had an audition for the Metropolitan Opera chorus. It was by invitation only, there were 11 of us there. It was a good experience, and I'm sure you wont be seeing me on that stage anytime soon, but I'll keep you posted if something miraculous happens. I've also been offered a Studio Artist position with Opera New Jersey for the summer, covering two roles and performing in concerts, masterclasses, as well as singing in chorus. And also I've been in touch with old contacts from California who would welcome me for the summer with open arms. Needless to say, there's a lot to work out in the next couple of weeks. On Sunday I travel north to Hudson, NY where I will spend the week doing 6 performances of a one act opera called Red Carnations. It's a small company, but they pay well and they're putting me up for the week. I'm hoping to get a good review and will certainly post it if that happens.
To treat ourselves, Cat and I spent the day in Atlantic City last week. It was suprisingly fun. It's like a little slice of Las Vegas (the good and the bad), with the exception that you could not find a 5 dollar table. They have a massive outlet mall and Cat and I spent the day mostly window shopping. Though Cat managed to find a few steals at the Coach outlet, while I spent my time looking at shoes. For dinner we made reservations at Bobby Flay Steak. He is one of our favorite chefs, and we were thrilled to have the opportunity to taste his food. There was a lobster bar with lobsters on display that were the size of VW Beetles. Cat and I both had American Kobe strip steaks. We both agreed we had never had a meal as remarkable as this one. Everything was amazing.
We finished the night gambling our small budget away, and both agreed it was a great time.
Cat's doing great. She's so amazing, and very strong. She continues to be a source of strength for her family, and I relish the role of husband, being there for her in any way I can. She was able to finish her semester and, while she didn't make dean's list, she came away relatively unscathed and still in the running for a great Master's program after her undergrad. Vocally she's becoming a remarkable young mezzo, and will more than likely being starring in future productions at Westminster Choir College.
We're thinking of our family, we love you guys and miss you. We hope for nothing less than the best for you, and we hope to see you soon.

-Patrick & Catharine-

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Thanks for the great update. Good luck in your show this week! Cat, I will call you tomorrow - we'd love to have you spend tomorrow with us if you won't be going with Pat!

midge said...

Thanks for the update, Pat. We feel so far away from you and Cat. We're glad to hear that things are going well for you both. It sounds great to have so many options for summer work. Hopefully we will see you both at some point. Until then, we miss you!

Kate, Tim & the boys said...

Thanks for the info, Pat. We miss you both and are so glad we will get to see you this summer. It sounds like you are both doing really well. Take care of each other, and hugs and kisses for both of you. Love you guys!

D said...

sounds great!!! great update!